James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Death-Squatting & I'm Fat which is not a Big Deal

When I saw the squat cluster work out, 25 reps at 85-90% of 1rm resting no more than 30 seconds between reps, I knew I'd eventually have to try it. I'm guessing, and I hope it turns out I'm right, that putting it two weeks before the USAPL meet will give me time to be fully recovered and newly adapted to heavy loads.

So yesterday M.B., K.S., and I did the squat cluster, they at 315 pounds and I at 340 pounds. I'd say this one went beyond epic and became transformational. I feel like an entirely new person now. We will see at the meet if I am stronger, but I'm now fearless. At the fifth repetition, I was seriously thinking I might end up stapled under 340 pounds and seriously injured, but I ground out twenty more anyway. Whatever C.H. decides my third attempt is, I'll take it; like Lemmy from Motorhead said, "you win some / you lose some / it's all the same to me." This workout, whatever its physical merits ultimately turn out to be, put me in the perfect frame of mind to crush a PR July 31st.

I don't know if ice baths work, but if they do, I'm glad I took one because I feel terrible today. Beyond the flu-like systemic fatigue, I've got some exquisite pain in my ass, hams, and adductors. I'm happy to report my quads feel untouched, so I know I was sitting back and surfing the stretch reflex on all 25 horrible squats.



Last week I learned there is a contest at work to see who can lose the most body fat in 90 days. There's a $100 entry but a four figure payoff for whoever can lose the most body fat by percentage, not weight. I figured I'm reasonably fat, at least fatter than I need to be, and much fatter than in my harder core CrossFitting days, and that even over 90 days a thousand dollar pay out looks great at my current poverty level, so I signed up.

I got a pinch test at Max Muscle today which revealed I am 17.5% body fat. With my abs visible if not defined, I had trouble believing that, so I had V.P. do two more four site pinch tests which averaged 17.6% body fat.

Well, the great thing about being that fat is that my winning chances are even better than I thought they would be.

It was interesting to me to listen to the pre-contest buzz around the cubicles last week. Some people were not entering because they're happy remaining fat and taking cholesterol medication so that they can continue eating pizza. At least one person declined to enter because she didn't want her weight and body fat percentage known to the other contestants. I have never understood that line of reasoning, but in fairness I have never been a woman, and after Sunday's squatting I seem even less feminine.

They people who did enter the contest are every bit as interesting. There are the inevitable P90X'ers who I have no doubt will lose substantial weight, probably muscle. Then there are the guys who are sure they will win because they were so awesome back in high school. Look, I'm a guy, even more so after Sunday, and I also benched 400, had a 4.4 40, and a 39" vertical jump in high school. Like any guy, I can still improve my high school stats simply by having additional beer.

What I've learned, though, is that in the present - and it could be argued the present is all that counts - it takes intelligently applied work to reach goals.

I figure I'll win because I can eat lean meat and vegetables for 90 days, and work with intensity, up to and including 300 kettle bell swings at 6:30am if that becomes necessary.

Fuck, after Sunday I can do anything.

After Sunday I don't doubt my commitment, drive, and work capacity.

After Sunday, I do doubt my intelligence.

After Sunday, I don't doubt the quality of the people I've decided to surround myself with now; if necessary, they'll supply the intelligence.

As fat and weak as I am, I bet I can increase my barbell lifts while dropping weight.

Watch me.

No comments:

Post a Comment