James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Twelve Weeks and Two Days

And so the fat loss contest ends.

The guy who took our initial pinch tests three months ago quit, and the guy who did our final pinch test measured everybody about 4% high.  I know because the tank put me at 8% and I had him measure me the same day; he came up with 12%.

This means, among other things, that some of the people who didn't try very hard and lost 1 or 2 percent body fat appear to have gained.  Because they know they have lost weight, they're unhappy with the measurement.  Because so many people are unhappy, the contest was called off.  Everybody get $100 back, and I don't get the $1,200.

Of course a few people, those who have lost the most muscle from fasting, are claiming that they won based on how much weight they lost.

I'm going to make my own claim: I got jacked.

No way in Hell am I not staying Paleo, but I relaxed and enjoyed a pound of almond butter and a pint of honey, way too many dates, a pint of cream, and two cups of almond milk.  All very awesome and arguably Paleo, but I'll stay on the ground beef and yams starting again tomorrow.  Why not, it works for me.

Twelve weeks of Paleo and serious CrossFit has been good for me.  I have a lot, I think, to pass on via my blog, but it's going to come in pieces and take time.

First I have this matter of the Master's Open this weekend.  I don't think the first two events favor me at all.

The second event is a ground to overhead ladder starting at 135 pounds and going up 10 pounds every twenty seconds until failure.  I haven't done a serious Olympic lift in over a year.

I'm going to put on wrist wraps and O shoes, engage the bar and see what it wants to do.

The first event is a 1,000 meter row, 75 wall ball shots, 500 meter row, and 25 pull-ups.  Rowing is good, 25 pull-ups can be gutted out with the broken butterfly, but 75 wall ball shots is a lot for me.

It occurs to me that nobody really gives a fuck how I do.

The crux of this is the wall ball shots.  When it really sucks, I'm projecting about 25 in, I'm going to remember that one legendary figure once walked a barbell mile with me. 

I'm going to say to myself, "the target is ten feet high."

If anybody gave a fuck, they'd see some exquisitely beautiful wall ball shots.

For what I damn well hope is less than 15 minutes tomorrow, CrossFit will be life.  Sometimes that's all you get, but it's invariably enough.

1 comment:

  1. As I recall sir, I walked it with you twice!

    And lots of folks care how you do today, and there or not, we're all cheering for you and the 'Stache!

    Channel some Rollins, stay focused, and remember you can breathe when you're dead!

    ReplyDelete