James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

12-2 Squats, Chocolate F'n Cake, and more Rowing

I absolutely love Thursdays. It's squat day, chess club night, and eat anything within reason day as long as I'm not hideously overweight and on 100% paleo.

Squats
45 x 2 x 5 Sadly I am getting old. I stay at 45 pounds until I get 5 reps at depth.
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3
255 x 3
285 x 3
305 x 1
315 x 1
335 x 1
345 x 1

I tried out the new Elite heavy wraps at 335. Not sure what I think of them except they're new enough to be tight enough to hurt. The 335 felt fine to me, but one or more training partners thought I didn't get to depth. I've found the best way to handle that is to put more weight on and make damned sure the next rep is deep. 345 passed the video test, so good enough.

I ate a huge fucking piece of extremely chocolaty cake after training. I enjoyed it and remained guilt free as I very rarely stray from Paleo eating. I have to be careful to be perfect tomorrow, as at some point I might crave sugar. I guess I'm pretty lucky because after even one day of no sugar, I feel fine and don't miss it at all.

Some hours later after my blood sugar had mostly normalized, I rowed 30 minutes. I wasn't trying to push it at all, but nonetheless I was disappointed to get just over 6,900 meters. I found it much harder to row 30 minutes than to do 6,000 meters. I think it's probably just another of my mental problems, but not one I'm going to worry about. 2,000 meters is the only distance that counts, and even that will only count on January 29th.

No comments:

Post a Comment