James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

12/12 Press, F'n CrossFit, and STFU

Press:
5 x 45
5 x 75
3 x 95
5 x 105
3 x 120
1 x 135
1 x 145
1 x 150 Felt easy so I thought I'd try 160, but
1 x (160)

Pull Ups 6 x 5

Yesterday I intentionally did a rather stupid CF work out, the one involving 50 squats at 95, 40 at 115, 30 at 135, 20 at 155, and 10 at 175. I knew I'd get no training effect and a ton of fatigue, but I wanted to do it anyway. Hey we served it up Thursday, and so I felt like I should show I can do this stuff too. As I knew, I'm now toasted. I can walk mostly fine, but I can't move big weights which is particularly bad as this week we should be doing heavy singles. Whatever, it's not like I'd be happy if at least some of the people some of the time didn't think I'm stupid.

So today I programmed 7 rounds of 7 push jerks and 14 box jumps. I quite incorrectly thought push jerks wouldn't be a problem after heavy pressing. I knew the box jumps were going to be a problem, so I started with a 20" box instead of my normal 24." When ACW wanted a 20", I decided it might be a good idea to give her mine and use her 16". So the workout was reasonably terrible. I found myself going slow just to stay alive. On the third round I started doing my push jerks in a set of four and then one of three. All good except I wanted to jerk out of a rack instead of cleaning my weight, and I took the rack closest to baby Finn's crib. Somewhere around the fourth or fifth round, I stopped my jerks and checked on Finn who seemed to be having a bad night. I thought since I was struggling anyway and ACW and EW had already taken turns checking on Finn, I'd do it. It's just when I came back to the barbell, I couldn't remember if I had done four or only three jerks. As any CrossFitter knows, the only thing to do in that situation is four jerks and forever wonder if perhaps you did eight instead of seven. Nobody would want to wonder if six instead of seven were done. CrossFit is horrible, and once you've done it two or three weeks, you can't even cheat.

Talking. If you've got something to say, say it. I'm old and brittle but I still learn from other people even if I do sometimes make them explain something four times. On the other hand, if you just want to give excuses for why you can't do something, shut the fuck up. It's not that hard to give up Twinkies, and if you really believe in the Twinkie diet, could you at least shut the fuck up until you can squat the Sunday paper or preferably even one of the weak milestones like a 1.5 x body weight squat?

No comments:

Post a Comment