James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

the Wizard can Fuck Off

I don't believe in can't.

I squeeze it out ten pounds at a time, but ten tens is one hundred, and it tries to come back.  I was very good at squatting over 300 pounds, but 400 took months to fall away, and sometimes there in the high 300's I looked outside myself.

One week ago I squatted over 400.

Eight days ago I was walking around the neighborhood thinking about what I was missing.  As I walked by the flop house, I was confronted by a raving junky.  The junky was unarmed, and my jiu-jitsu is adequate if not worth Youtubing, so I decided to listen to him as he approached and told me,

"just remember this, 'Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man that he didn't already have.'"

And I thought about that until I knew it was true.  The only thing I needed was to quit looking outside myself.



None of this is easy.  If you happen to be me it's just fun and appropriate to flip off the Wizard and know that punishment and reward are the same thing.

So yes, I haven't seen the Wizard and therefore he'll eventually come for me.  I'll listen to whatever he has and say, 'well yes, motherfucker, but I surfed."



If you have to be the Tin Man, surf.  It's okay that you don't float and you're never coming up again when you fall off the board.  The Wizard can rant.  You rode the pipeline.

Or if you have to be the unicorn, be happy.  You didn't need to be told the ark was leaving, and your corpse is still beautiful even if it's not uncovered after the next or any future ice age.

If you're a kid from Iowa with a barbell and a dream, get out of bed at least as long as the prose poetry continues.  Your blog gets a thousand views a month.  Nobody knows Homer either.

If you are one thing, understand that one is ten thousand.



Don't go to the prom.



Just dance.



No comments:

Post a Comment