James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Nuts: Being Weird might Kill You

Often when I write a blog, I realize I have to write another blog, and today the other blog would be on cherry-picking work outs.  I'm not entirely opposed to cherry-picking, and with my shoulder not really working, I have to be careful about what I should be doing in a WoD.

Yesterdays WoD, 4 rounds for time - 6 deadlifts at 155 pounds, 12 push-ups, and 15 box jumps, looked reasonable to me.   I wanted to see how my shoulder would stand up to both pulling and doing push-ups, and all of this was done at moderate volume and light weight.

I did some shoulder prehab while the rest of the class was doing hang snatches, something I didn't feel like pushing at all yet.  They were still going when I finished working my shoulders, so I decided I should warm up the deadlift.  155 is very light, and while I'll pull 300ish conventional still, I decided to warm up sumo since I need work there, and then do the WoD conventional.

155 is so light, in fact, I decided to put chains on and pull speed doubles.  I rarely pull chains, and I haven't done it in a few months, so without much though I just centered the chains on the bar.

 
No, I can't foresee what's about to happen here.









                                            


I only pulled once and didn't make a double.

I smashed that fucker right into my testicles.

I still need more work on this.




Probably the reader can figured out where this happened, but I'm not going to say.  In some circles I'm known as the guy who knows how to get to 8% bodyfat with enough muscle to powerlift on the state level without any embarrassment.  And in one of these circles, I got an e-mail asking for my input on how to build a gym.

And my genitals were fully restored.

Here was a chance to do a gym from the ground up and avoid all the mistakes I made before.  This fucker could be perfect.

So I replied and said I would be delighted to help.

And in the next e-mail I was asked what I thought of this.

I'm supposed to squat tonight, but I think I'll just crush my nuts instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment