James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Joy Revisited & Feeling out the Weights

Late last year when I realized I had shoulder problems I had been training for the March 2012 NASA powerlifting meet with a view to  finally breaking the state squat record.  I essentially stopped all upper body work and deadlifting in December, but I continued with my squat cycle albeit entirely without any sense of urgency.  I went from squatting twice a week down to once so that I could save my legs for the indoor rowing season.

I realized this week that I should be in a good place to test my 1rm squat, so at the last minute I allowed myself to be talked into doing the unsanctioned powerlifting meet at DEFY! CrossFit.  I've enjoyed three nights of horrible sleep, and I woke up this morning feeling completely unready to do anything.  I had no appetite and couldn't eat, so I used the early morning to watch my 500 meter sprint from the Denver Indoor Rowing Championships last week.  I thought that if I could watch myself do something cool, I might find it in myself to get fired up and turn in a good performance.

I watched the TFCF video on YouTube, and after it was over, YouTube suggested further videos for me one of which was another view of my 500 meter highlights.

I suppose, yes, it's narcissistic, but I loved this one.  It looks like it's about someone else and then it shifts to me.  This one captured me playing to the crowd that showed me so much love. While watching this I remembered that all this stuff happened, but I had forgotten it.  I was actually applauding the crowd from the floor  before getting up and blowing a kiss.

What I remembered without the benefit of video is that I attacked the race and had no intention other than winning and if possible setting a PR.  I remember that I was in horrible pain for several minutes after the race, and that while moving was horrible, laying down with the lactic acid build up was worse.  I remember I crawled up a wheelchair ramp out of the gymnasium and staggered around trying vainly to find relief.

I remember after it was over I was happy.  I couldn't have said why other than that I went hard and won, but this video showed my some of the fun stuff that happened that was buried under the pain in my memory.

So yes, I do know joy, and I know it comes with true near-death exertion.

Okay, so I used to be pretty good, but that was last week and I had to lift today.

My plan was to open the squat at 375, probably take 385, and then shoot for something over 400.  I couldn't seem to get my mind right, the warm up was horrible, and since I forgot that my warm ups have little to do with how I perform, I let my nerves take over and changed my opener to 355.

I felt strong if not invincible after hitting 355, so I decided to take 380 which I sunk with ease.  The video looks fine to me, but the near side judge though I didn't get to depth.

I decided to try 400.  I felt like I had more than enough strength to make it, but I haven't trained higher than 350 or so in months, and I was defeated by mental weakness.  I knew I cut this way high, and I didn't need to look at the judges.

I think in the next ten days, I'll take 410 at the gym and be done with this 400 barrier.


Every dog has its day.  I just need more espresso.

For those I don't see regularly, I've alluded to the shoulder problem and the MRI showed a stretched ligament, a frayed rotator cuff, and some arthritis.  All I know is that the cumulative effect is lot of pain for me and I haven't benched more than 45 pounds since December. 

I warmed up to 215 and felt fine, but I decided not change my opener of 45 pounds since I didn't want any accidents.  I was disappointed that my lift provoked some crowd laughter.  Possibly the crowd thought I was making a joke, but the "token lift" is well known in in powerlifting circles and it's usually understood that the lifter is injured and is just trying to make a total.

I decided to try 225 next so that if nothing else I can still lift with the fraternity boys.  It proved easy enough, so I called for 250 to see what would happen.  I got it two or three inches off my chest and I knew it was a no-go so I called in the spotters.  That was hard to take after blowing up 260 in November, but it was very encouraging to be able to put up more than 200 without any pain.

It seems that pulling causes me much more pain than pushing, and since I also haven't deadlifted since December, I opened at 135.  I could pick up 135 in any way I wanted to, but I took some time to open my hips and see if I could nail a perfect sumo pull in the groove. The sumo deadlift is a very technical slow lift, and while I was happy with my starting position, nothing went right.  I almost fell on my face before pulling through and nearly falling on my ass.  Fortunately 135 is very forgiving and I was able to use strength to overcome my lack of practice.  I didn't feel any need to test my deadlift.  I believe if I can get in some technique work, my hips will pull anything my shoulder can hold, so I passed the final two attempts.

What I know in mid-February is this: CrossFit is out since I can't currently do a pull-up with out excruciating pain.  A couple things I truly love are in: rowing and powerlifting.  I have decided to go full bore with the erging and also get back on the water this year.  I'll continue lifting, but the next meet I'll have time for isn't until August.  By then the squat record should fall, and my token lifts will be more like 275 and 425.

Hopefully around that time I'll be CrossFitting again and getting ready for another Masters' Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment