James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

First Open Letter to my Accountability Partner

I've tried before to use my blog as a training log, and I decided I didn't like it.  As I prepare for the USAPL National Masters, I'm going to do several of these open letters to my accountability partner [OLAP].  I don't feel like I have much room to screw off in my training now, and I believe being accountable to someone will help me move forward.

Today was light squat day, and it went like this:

5 x 45
5 x 135
8 x 170
6 x 210
6 x 245
6 x 265
6 x 265
6 x 265

On light days especially I like to concentrate on form.  There was something sub-perfect about the top sets, but they were all adequate.

I knew it was past time to start some kind of conditioning, and I spent too much time yesterday looking for a CrossFit WoD I could do.  I was looking for something with no pressing movement at all, and I couldn't find it.  At length I remembered I have a truly interesting and somewhat sadistic book of Greyskull Barbell conditioning work outs, and I settled on "swing, swing, catch, goblet squat" - two kettlebell swings followed by flipping the kettlebell over, catching it upside down, doing a goblet squat, and throwing the kettlebell back into the next swing.  It was written as 50 repetitions at 24 Kg, and after thinking it over I did:

Conditioning
25 repetitions of "swing, swing, catch, goblet squat" at 20 Kg.
time 2:15

I thought my scaling was only very slightly on the light side.  Maybe I should have tried 30 reps, but I came close to getting it right.  I never put the bell down, and I definitely got a training stimulus.  Honestly it was terrifying to face a metcon alone, and I missed the experience of watching other guys do half the work I did while using twice the time because they insist on using too much weight.

Shoulder rehab: yes I did some.  Not enough, but I did some.

Diet: Well the good part is that I ate no trash at all.  The bad part is that I didn't measure anything.  I'm sure I won't overeat today, but under-eating is if anything worse.

Other stuff:  I didn't sleep enough, but I did better than Sunday night when I had some nasty stair climbing dreams.

On the whole, it was far from a perfect day yet so much better than any of the previous days this year.

That, accountability partner, is enough to keep me out of burpees, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment