James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Friday, February 10, 2012

2012 Denver Indoor Rowing Championships

Strange that after more than a decade, my old hard core band appears to worth much more than I've ever made erging, because erging has definitely made me more famous.  As soon as I walked into the Monaco Athletic Club, people who saw me row at the Mile High Sprints began approaching me and telling me what a great sprinter I am.

Okay, that felt good.  I almost thoroughly enjoyed the attention, but I had to find some quiet space to be as alone as possible before doing my second and last 500 meter sprint of the year.

I went through my customary warm up which customarily felt horrible.  I've learned that how I feel warming up has no correlation to how I feel racing, so I was able to remain reasonably calm before my heat was called.

I got my erg set up, and took a little time to talk to it.

Why not? I talk to the barbell; I'm not going to be an implementist.


The whole 500 can be seen here.

The start was adequate if not fantastic.  I was hanging out at 1:20/500, and while it's usually easy for me to hit 1:18 or lower on the start, I didn't feel as though I was strong enough to do it.  I chose to hold 1:20 as long as possible before backing down to 1:24, and holding that until falling apart, and finally attempting to go all out the final 150 meters.

I made a rather serious mistake by looking at the big screen once near the end of the race.  I saw I was leading by a huge margin, and I reflexively started to slow down.  I brought a coxswain and a cheering section with me, and I was an immediate crowd favorite so there was enough screaming to get me to finish as strong as possible.

I turned a 1:25.8 which was the fastest 500 meters of the day, but it was still short of a PR by a tenth of a second.  I can't help but think that looking at the big screen must have cost me two tenths of a second or even more, but I did win the race while going hard enough to finish like this:




After the race I had a bunch of people talk to me.  I can't lie and say I didn't appreciate the guy who told me I should rank my 500 meters since I was probably one of the best in the world - I did that a long time ago, man - but the kids and their coaches were fantastic.  Apparently I was a big hit with the kids from the Monaco Athletic Club.

What a weird way to be a rock star.

I guess I have to do this again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment