James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Undulating Waves & Christmas Denied

November is, unfortunately, insanely busy.  I've been over-working and under-sleeping and largely unmotivated to erg like I should.

Like I preach though, I am not denied my one thing, and predictably I've chosen lifting.  I squat and bench twice weekly and pull deads and press once weekly.  I'm getting fairly high volume at high-moderate intensity as in squatting 6x6x275 and pulling 6x6x300.  The bench is on a six week peaking cycle, and lately I've been topping out with doubles around 235.

Pressing doesn't really fit into my current plan, but I can't leave the press out, so I've put in a max effort press day.  If I feel like crap, I work up to a 3rm, and if I feel good, I'll try a 1rm.  Last week, feeling like crap, I failed to triple 135.  Today feeling way too good for the amount of sleep I got, I singled 170, a new PR.

And that's how it works.  It's a journey, and when you have a shitty day, remember that tomorrow is also a day.  After time these days add up.



I decided a long time ago to compete in the USAPL meet 12/4, but I hadn't decided in which division to compete.  I finally decided to compete raw, which in the USAPL means no knee wraps.  It will be nice not to worry about who is wrapping my knees, but I'll probably take a third attempt squat around 375 pounds.  400ish to me is scary without wraps.

I thought I could weigh in the day of the meet and compete in whatever class that put me in, but I found out I had to declare that in advance, so I registered as a 181.  That all means I should have a fun meet, but I have to stop my uncontrolled free-range eating now, just in time for the holiday season.

2 comments:

  1. Hey James - you always have to declare your weight in advance, but they're going to put you in whatever weight class you weigh in as. If free-range eating makes you stronger, have at it. Worst case, you'll be the lightest guy in the 198 class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that's true of NASA; I don't trust the USAPL yet. Not sleeping aside, I feel great now post-dieting. I definitely see myself going to 198, but I have some business in NASA at 181 yet. One thought I've had is to squat 200k at 198 then go back down and pick it off at 181. I think it's very realistic for March, but I have been wrong before - sometimes in huge ways.

    ReplyDelete