James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Bodies

I've been staring at the white space too long, so I'm going to try to keep this short and to the point and just do it.  I'm sure all my stuff is less than than perfect, and if this is even worse, well I've had a lot of sugar today.  Yes, gluten too.

Probably somewhere I've alluded to the fact that November has been busy for me.  I don't have the time or inclination for a lot of erging, and I metcon even less.  But I have been lifting seriously and I have been eating seriously.  Usually I just have copious amounts of good food.  Today was the one and only day for months I'll have copious amounts of admittedly delicious but obviously lethal food.

I'm already fatter than I was in October.  But here's the thing: my lifts are going up, even those aggravating hard to progress upper body lifts and I feel great.  Clog the almond butter aisle in the supermarket with as many obese people with carts full of vanilla wafers as you want, and I'll walk through them like so many 135 pound bars waiting to be power cleaned.  That is functional fitness in the contemporary world.

December and January should be much better for me.  I'll pick up the erging with ferocity, and I'll keep lifting in preparation for a meet in March.  After some consideration, I think I'll go up to the 198 pound weight class, hit all the numbers I want, then see if I can back down to 181 and keep my strength.  I also really want a sub 1:25 500 meter row.

I may or may not hit my lifting and erging goals, but March 5th I'll look like a guy who either succeeded or made a serious effort to row fast and lift heavy.  If that doesn't describe an underwear model, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't, I don't care.

But I'm a guy, and I acknowledge that I have it easy compared to women.  I like a lot of the stuff that's posted about strong women being hot, but I usually refrain from commenting.  As a man, I don't understand this, but I know it's possible to fuck up a woman just by expressing an opinion that some body type is or is not hot.

I think one time, I'll say that I'm into those women about whom Walt Whitman said:

They are not one jot less than I am, 
They are tann’d in the face by shining suns and blowing winds, 
Their flesh has the old divine suppleness and strength, 
They know how to swim, row, ride, wrestle, shoot, run, strike, retreat, advance, resist, defend themselves, 
They are ultimate in their own right—they are calm, clear, well-possess’d of themselves.


Hopefully I won't fuck anybody up by suggesting they form their own opinions about how skinny Walt's women were.

No comments:

Post a Comment