James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

N.O.V(ember)

Since the Masters Open, I've mostly been doing the stuff that I do - lifting and rowing.  That's probably the stuff I should be doing because that's the stuff I'm going to do.  I lift again 12/3, the Mile High Sprints are 01/29, and the Denver Indoor Rowing Championships are 02/04.

I also do some serious fucking free range eating, and while I expect to get fluffier, nothing horrible should happen since I restrict myself to the Paleo pasture.

Lifting three times a week and rowing four times a weeks keeps me happy, but me, me, I want more.

It's not just N.O.V.(ember), but also New Skill November.

I've decided I'm doing a muscle up this month.  If I were slightly more suicidal, I'd probably have done one last Sunday.  I was screwing around between sets of squats, and I came within millimeters of turning over a MU.  While I was poised in space between a pull-up and a dip, I had an anti-rowing moment; if I were in an analogous position on the erg, I'd pull harder and trust but not care that I would get through the hard part and live to erg again.  On the rings I had visions of my shoulders dislocating, I did care, I did not trust, and I dropped off.

I hate that, but it was probably the smart and correct thing to do, and I can still retain my masculinity since I remain so good at being stupid and incorrect on the erg and under the bar.

It's N.O.V.(ember.)  I'm doing a muscle-up.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent! I have the same goal. Let's do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working the progressions 3x a week. S.A.I.D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when you get to that point that you fear for your shoulders, see if you can do a forward roll throught the movement. Carlo Paoli talked about this at his seminar

    ReplyDelete