James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Triple Bodyweight in Watts

Thursday, January 12th, 2012.
With ten days until the Mile High Sprints, I thought it was time to actually register.  Somewhere hiding in my inbox at work I finally noticed an e-mail claiming I had been paid again, so I went to Regatta Central and began registering. 

I facebooked - what a terrible new verb - MikeD and found out he is okay with me doing the 500 meter sprint only this year.  In truth, if Mike required the 2k, I'd be doing the 2k no matter how much I don't want to, but I seem to off the hook until 2013.

I realized that I know several of the competitors who have already signed up for the 500.

These guys are taller than me, they're stronger than me, and they're younger than me.

I though I had better do another maximal effort 500 meter piece and see how I stack up this year.  With the 6:30 pm class at TwinFreaks CrossFit providing me wild and vocal support, I charged out at 1:18/500.  As always I was focused on the split time, and I had no sense of where I was in the 500.  At some point I knew I was in trouble, and I backed down to 1:24/500 which I held until I completely fell apart about 300 meters in.  Under heavy cheering I was able to mount a feeble but real sprint, and I finished in 1:25.7 seconds averaging 556.1 watts.




I really didn't expect that to happen, but I knocked off a long held goal of doing a triple bodyweight in watts 500.

I ended up on the floor only very briefly - thanks Hricko for getting me out of the stretcher - heaving as though I'd die.  After only a few minutes. my breathing subsided to the level of just having run a 10k and finished with a sprint where it stayed for the next 90 minutes.

I gave myself the Fran cough, and I feel as though I may have given myself pneumonia.  Quite unlikely, but I do feel horrible this morning.

I'm ready to report January 21st and compete against the taller, stronger, younger guys.

I have a better mustache, I'm more loved, and I'm less afraid to die than any of them. 

Also, of course, I have a heart full of napalm.

My high goal for the Mile High Sprints is the same as always: I want to blow apart a flywheel and kill 30 spectators.

My middle goal is to make one or more of the CSU guys quit rowing.

My low goal is to pr - I think I'm good for a sub 1:25 if I can only find a loud person who has zero regard for how much pain I'm in.

This shit should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment