James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

January 2012

Sometimes maybe it's necessary to be tricked into writing a blog.  I logged into Blogger in order to comment on TwinFreaks CF blog, and then I tried to do the TFCF blog but noticed I was here at BarbellMile.  Apparently it's true; I can run but not hide.

Yesterday was the first time in a week I've done anything, and it was a light squat session topping out at 2 x 3 x 310.

I think, or better at this point I should admit that I know, that I've fucked up my left shoulder bad.  I'm pretty sure it's a rotator cuff problem since both internal and external rotation are painful, while scapular elevation is excruciating.  Even with the insurance I now have, I'll probably wait a couple weeks and see if it gets better on its own.

I think I had wanted to do an early January blog on goals again, but I find myself not wanting to think at all about goals.  I've probably blown all mine for 2012 already.

At least I can still get a good, tight rack position for squatting.  I'm reminded that two years ago my left hand was splinted together to support my newly dislocated pinkie, and all I could do was squat.

This is not easy for me because I'd like to be doing a lot of things physically, none of which are now viable.  It's not easy for me not to cry here again.

I know, though, that I won't make up a pitiful story about how no matter how hard I try I end up fucked every couple of years.

It's true that January 2012 looks a lot like January 2010 with me doing nothing but back squats.  But if I look closer, 2012's work sets are 85-100 pounds heavier than 2010's.  I'm going to try to prove the current 1rm is in state record territory.

I know - because I actually tried this - that I can do a pull-up but it makes me scream.  As bad as that is, it would be a fuck of a lot worse if I wasn't devoting myself wholly to getting really fucking good at the one thing I still can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment