James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Third OLAP

Sunday is always heavy squat day, and today it went thusly:

5 x 45
5 x 135
8 x 170
6 x 210
5 x 250
5 x 285
5 x 305
5 x 305
5 x 305
5 x 285
6 x 250
8 x 210

I did all the work I was supposed to, but I wasn't happy with my technique at all.  I'm not pushing back far enough, and the weight is shifting forward on the ascent. 

I will work the technique hard on the next light squat day, and while I try to approach perfection on heavy day, the emphasis is on getting through the work out.  I have both under-slept and under-eaten this weekend due mainly to hosting the UCanRow2 C2 certification, and I thought it might be a battle to get through my work load.

It turned out to be easier than I expected.  Lately I vastly prefer to do my squatting alone, but the only time I could fit it in today was when several TwinFreaks CrossFit athletes were warming up and then performing Open Workout 12-2.  While I really like my solitary work, I was able to feed off the energy the CrossFitters generated, and it worked perfectly today.

It's not unusual that I face heavy day feeling less than stellar alone and without any energy to feed off of.  I've been successful handling those days by getting out all of my stuff, belt and wraps, and spreading it out on the floor around me.  The only equipment I consistently train with is my pair of wrist wraps.  I leave the belt off until it feels downright dangerous not to use it, and depending on which federation I'm competing in next I'll either leave the knee wraps off entirely or use them only on psycho-heavy singles.  By spreading my equipment around and looking at it, I can put myself into the mindset that I am doing the prescribed work no matter what.  If I find myself falling forward or my back is just unhappy, I'll put on the belt, and if my knees aren't tracking correctly or the weights just feel heavier than they should, I'll put on light wraps.  Only very rarely do I find it actually necessary to use anything, and it all stays on the floor.  It seems that just knowing I have equipment if I need it makes me understand I'm completing heavy day, and so far that has gotten me over any heavy day humps.

What did I do wrong this weekend Accountability Partner?  A little too much work on the erg, too little sleep, and too little food.  It's hard not to erg when UCanRow2 is around, and it's hard to eat and sleep when you're hosting a certification weekend.

It was all fun though.

No comments:

Post a Comment