James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Yule Blog #1

So there I was trying to be perfect.  The last two nights I've been looking at the blank Blogger editor for ten minutes or so, then shutting it down without writing anything.

I'm doing some boring things that I find very interesting, and before I write about them I'm trying to make sure there is some great moral precept which will shine through and thoroughly repair the reader's life.  And that is not working.

Earlier this week I was showing a group how it takes me longer to set up a squat than to do one.  I was showing how my left hand has to grind into the bar before the right, and how I'm almost trying to draw blood from the knurling.  I was trying to transfer my bar voodoo, and it didn't immediately occur to me that most of them just need to squat 100 or 150 or 200 pounds to parallel without getting the "poopy dog" back.

I've decided just to write and let the reader be entertained or edified or pissed or whatever.  Take what you can or want and burn through the Yule Blogs.


Thursday 12/15/11

Bench Press work sets - 6 x 2 x 210
Deadlift work sets - 6 x 2 x 320

This was not a good day.  I almost dumped one of the benches on my stomach, and all of them felt too heavy.  The deadlifting was worse.  Absolutely everything felt like lead, and I was back to falling on my face today.  Falling on the ass is kind of cool in that it means the lifter is committed to the lift, but falling forward means there is something fundamentally wrong with the primate.

I had intended to do a fast but furious finisher today, but I left immediately after I racked my last bench.  (Actually I am responsible and I put all my weights away first.)

If there is a sweeping lesson here, this is probably it: today showed my preferred way to handle the sometimes unavoidable shitty day; do the minimum, get the Hell out, do not panic, do not cry.

What I don't prefer, but I have done more than once, is to do less than the minimum, get the Hell out, do not panic, do not cry.

I'm sure, though, that the worst thing to do in this situation is to attempt doing more than the minimum.

I'm at least a partially functional primate, and I'll be back tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I mistakenly loaded 175 to do 5x3 Power Cleans today. Did not discover this until the de-load at the end. Went through the whole series feeling like a weak ass sack of crap for struggling so much with something that should not have been that hard.

    Still felt like a weak ass sack of crap, because I still should have been able to do 175 without as much trouble as I had. But still, finished the session, only pouted a little bit, and then did a shit ton of pull ups to make up for it.

    ReplyDelete