James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Yule Blog #3

Saturday's work sets on the press were 3 x 5 x 135, and the work sets on the squat were 3 x 5 x 295.

I thought I could use some extra work on the squat, so I decided to try a reverse band squat at 405 pounds.  I can't really explain how I allowed this to happen, but I set up green bands in the squat cage without bothering to check how much, if at all, the bar would deload at the bottom of the squat.

As I unracked 405 and started pushing my butt back I realized I wasn't getting any deload whatsoever.  I was not at all prepared mentally to be squatting 405, and I had no inclination to really hit the bar at the bottom and try to come back up, so like the Federal Reserve, I aimed for a soft landing.  I ended up doing a very slow negative, dumping the bar on the pins, and laying on the floor.

That was incredibly stupid, and incredibly fun.

I think my willingness to  do sometimes stupid but sometimes productive things is why I feel no inclination to hang colored lights all over fuck and pretend I'm happy one day a year.

In some form, I'm happy every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment