James can be reached at TwinFreaks CrossFit, where he is an owner and trainer. James coaches barbell lifting classes and CrossFit classes. Contact him by email at james@twinfreakscrossfit.com or by phone at 720-204-2631.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Yule Blog #5

I was asked today if I feel rowing in my arms.

I liked that question enough to continue thinking about it for several minutes after I had answered in the negative.

Here is how it works, in so far as I can remember how rowing feels.  I try to do too much stuff, and because of that sometimes on the erg I'll be conscious of my legs or back failing.  That seems to be associated with heavy lifting days.

On a good day, when I haven't been too ambitious, I'm fully recovered from any previous work outs, and I'm motivated, I don't feel the body in parts, and in fact if I don't exactly feel my body.

On a good day I feel the animal running.  On some of the good days, the animal just runs.  On well over half of even the good days, to be painfully honest, the animal knows its run is inadequate and it lays down to die.

So no.  Only on a bad day can I feel a weak link fail.  On a good day if anything fails, it's a sudden and complete collapse of the very soul.

That hurts a lot worse than the rubber legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment